Sunday, 13 February 2011

'The Rat'


Well I’m definitely being kept busy out here, the last week has flown by and I really can’t believe that I have already been here for a month. We have unfortunately had a few boys run away from this recruit, its due to their addiction to sniffing glue and although you can really see that some of them do want to change and get off the streets the addiction is ruling their bodies and even though they get food, bed, activities, education, support and most of all love, their addictions sadly take over. When I see them around town I try to persuade them to return to the centre, just yesterday another volunteer and I managed to get one boy to come back with us, hand over his glue and return to the ICC. Unfortunately he ran again last night and although it is such a shame it’s the hard reality of the situation, and the work we are doing. 
On a positive note, the remaining boys are doing really well, they have settled in now, and its great to see them forming as a group. Their personalities are really coming through, and they are really fun to be around and work with. There are some really young boys and its so sad to think of their situations and why they are staying with us, but there is also so much hope now, and with our help and rehabilitation they will make it back to school, back home is possible, and off the streets.  They are a lively bunch and the language barrier can be a challenge but I can already see their English improving with me being around and I am picking up some Swahili too! On Friday I taught an English lesson, going through the Alphabet and coming up wih words for each letter. I attempted to sing and teach them the alphabet song, which I bet you all wish you could have seen it was very amusing!
Staying at the centre opposed to the volunteer house which is a 20minute walk away is defiantly good for me in a youth work role as it means when I get up I see the boys in the morning, work with them all day, and then get that special time with them in the evening, where we eat dinner, sing and play games, talk about the day and then my favourite is saying goodnight to them. It’s helping me to build relationships, and I get to see the boys and their progression daily. The only negative is I can find myself doing 14hour days (which is normal for me in my usual work!) but no real escape to relax living at the centre. I am trying to be strict and keep my weekends off and at least an evening a week, where I will go out or spend time with the volunteers at their house. 
Last weekend I went to 14 falls, about 30mins from Thika town, which was beautiful. I went with one of the Kenyan staff and his friends, and we lazed around in the sun, had a picnic and then attempted to cross the falls – badly. The stones were so hot my feet were burning and we had to be helped across the big jumps, and I still ended up socked to my waist. We then went to a local pool for a swim, or should I say a paddle as the pool was so crowded, (no lanes Dani) and due of cultural respect I was wearing a t-shirt over my costume. Still it was nice to be in the water and escape the 30 degree heat, and a nice end to a fun day out.
Yesterday (Sat 12th) I went out with a staff member who showed me his village where he grew up. Literally in the middle of no-where, we walked, got a motorbike to finally reach his land. He also showed me a children’s home where he used to volunteer, these children are all orphans and stay until they are 18. Another real eye opener, the home doesn’t have a sponser so relies on local donations but are desperate for help and need a lot of work done to the home, even still they are doing a great job. In the afternoon I went to a local hotel with one of the volunteers and we hung out in the grouds, read, slept and just relaxed, it was a nice escape. Next weekend I am going to the coast – Mombassa, I am really looking forward to this and working on my tan! 
So all in all a good balance between work, and seeing Kenya.

I want to briefly tell you of my experience the other night, went to go to bed and was convinced I could hear an animal in my room… tried to ignore it and fall asleep but couldn’t. Finally had a stare down, where I turned off all the lights and waited to spot it. Caught its beady eyes reflecting at me from under my wardrobe and I jumped out of bed and text the night staff ‘there’s a rat in my room!’ he thank g-d came to the rescue with a stick! Found the rat nestling in my wardrobe drawer and it was seriously the biggest rat I have ever seen! I left Edward to sort it and after hearing thumps, bumps and a thud he emerged with the beast, sadly not so alive anymore. Needless to say it took me a while to get to sleep after but all in all I was very brave and didn’t even scream! Its defiantly an adventure living at the ICC. Also a huge bird flew into me this week as I was walking from the office back to the centre, was very surreal and I had a headache all afternoon! No idea what’s going on but having my own Safari adventure it seems!

That’s all for now, any questions email me :-0

Also, please if you want to donate you still can and it will really help me stay out here for the whole six months and help the charity with all its work. www.justgiving .com/SerotaSarah


Love Sarah x 

No comments:

Post a Comment