Monday, 17 January 2011

Hello from Thika

Hi all,

Just a quick blog to let you know I have arrived safely, and so far so good!

Flight landed early last night and I got my luggage and visa hassle free! Was met at the airport by the director of AFCIC who drove me to Thika and the centre. We made a quick stop at the local supermarket on the way where I got water, and soya sauce - apparently i will want to flavour all me meals!

My room is simple but clean and nice! -no mud hut! I slept under a mosiqoto net to the sounds of monkeys junping on my roof and sqeeking all night! The toilet as expected is a hole in the floor and the show really is just a bucket. But i wash myself ben not African women!

(pictures to follow... of room, centre and bathroom - not me showering!)

Spent the day today visiting different schools around the area that we work with and support with feeding programmes. I real eye opener, the children are so lovely and friendly but its very sad to know of their family situations. They loved coming up to us and holding our hands.

There are only a few boys left at the rehabilitation centre as they are being moved on to schools this week and back into their family's. We will get a new intake next week, to start theri 6 month rehabilitation.

The other volunteers are lovely and i had a cheeky shower tonight in their normal house! just in an internet cafe before going to the directors for dinner with the other staff.


Update you all soon, I will be getting a kenyan sim this week- hopefully tommorow so will get my nuynumber out to you.

Love Saz x

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sarah, We are enjoying your blog very much. Keep up the good work. LOL G and G

    ReplyDelete